- Average stack > 20 BB = Early game
- Far from money and average stack <20 = Mid game
- Close to or in money = Late game
The biggest characteristic of the early game is that you can still play postflop to some extent. You are opening your hands instead of just shoving.
This stage of the tournament is characertized by being still relatively far away from the money. The average stack is rather shallow. This means you are mostly just openshoving, occasionally raising. The knowledge of Nash Ranges is important in this stage.
We group tournaments into 3 tournament stages:
- Early game (Average stack > 20 BB)
- Mid game (Far from money and average stack <20 )
- Late game (Close to or in money )